As we all know that when we create an item in SharePoint List or say when we add a document to the SharePoint Doc library, it gets its Unique Id number. Many Businesses and Organization will get a way where it is possible to identify individual entries to SharePoint Custom list easily.
HOW DOES UNIQUE IDENTIFIER WORK?
The idea is pretty simple. Essentially each entry in a SharePoint List or Documentary Library gets a number (ID). The first entry gets 1, and then it is consecutive from there (incremented by 1).
Advantages of the ID column
- The ID number is unique. If you delete a list item or a document, it is never used again in a list.
- ID Number (unique identifier) is auto-incremented for you automatically in the list.
Disadvantages of the ID Column
- ID Column is unique to the library or list
- If you use ID Column to track documents, this will only work as long as all documents being tracked are stored within the same document library. If you need to have a unique ID for a document across the board (all sites and libraries), you need to utilize a feature called Document ID. This is a topic for another post, though.
Various Usage Of UNIQUE IDENTIFIER (ID COLUMN)
- Sales Order numbers: If you use a SharePoint custom list to track Sales (Purchase) orders, your ID number can serve as a unique identifier for a Sales Order numbers.
- Help desk ticketing system: If you use SharePoint to track help desk tickets each ID can serve as a unique identifier for a logged ticket in System
- Issue/Action Items Tracker: Anytime you use SharePoint list to track issues, tasks, action items, risks, you can use the ID number to identify each issue/row.